Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ready for Fall

I absolutely love the fall, it's my favorite season of the year. I love walking outside in the crisp cool air while catching a wiff of log burning fireplaces. I love spending a day wrapped up in a blanket with a steamy cup of apple cider. And of course I love watching the leaves change colors. So today I began to get a little sad that it's still going to be a while before fall comes to Atlanta. So what better way to summon fall than by baking pumpkin bread.So here's my best recipe for pumpkin bread
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (or 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
  3. Bake for about 60 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I attempted to try your pumpking bread but I am a lazy and not so cofidant cook. So I did try the quick and easy bisquick recipe I found on line. Which was acutally pretty good. But yours just looks so good and perfect I still may try it at christmas