Monday, August 27, 2007

Attempting a Normal Life

Today is the first day that Chris is going to work, so he left about 1 1/2 hours early just in case traffic was awful. We have no idea what to expect around here in terms of the freeways. The traffic here is unbelievable!!! There's a major highway that makes a circle around the city (called the Perimeter) that is between 6 and 7 lanes at all times, then there's 2 other major freeways that form an x through the perimeter and out that are 5 lanes each. Not to mention the countless other "little" freeways off of that. I thought Portland was big when I-5 hit 4 lanes. And traffic stops for no reason around here. Yesterday we were stopped on the freeway because people were stopping for a person on the side of the road cutting down a tree...ugh. This weekend was quite busy trying to get our life together. we had 2 days to get Chris a car. He really wanted a Jeep, but that was not panning out well in our time frame, so we started looking at other options. We found a car we liked and the person told us he lived about an hour and twenty minutes south of Atlanta. We thought, no big deal, we've spent the last 10 days driving, we can do it. Well...an hour and a half turned out to be over 100 miles!!! But we ended up getting the car and now Chris has a Volkswagen GTI. I'm hoping he won't get any tickets. And in the midst of all of the driving around to find a car, Caitlin decided to meet up with somebody to purchase a CRICUT!!! For all you scrapbookers and card makers out there, you know how cool this thing is. So I'm really excited to play with it. And last night was the first night that we began looking for a church. We found ourselves at a church called Veritas, which is just a few miles away from our apartment. It is a very small start up church. The crazy thing about it was that there was a couple there who I knew from home. She worked with me at Salem Hospital and they moved out her a few months ago for her husband to go to Physician Assistant school at Emory University. It was really nice to see a familiar face. We think that we'll continue to check a few other churches out, but everybody was really nice and it's comforting to know that it would be a good place to be. Anyways, today is my day to attempt to make our house like a home. We're still waiting on most of our stuff to get here, so frozen lasagna will have to suffice for dinner. Sorry that there's no pictures this time.

3 comments:

jared said...

I love reading your updates and wish that I had done a similar thing...maybe I should start a real blog and not pretend like a myspace blog is something that everyone can or should read.

I'm glad you guys have made it (nice choice of car Chris) and it's going to be great to see what you experience and how it changes you. Just don't get too comfortable down there. We could use some awesome people in Glenwood Springs and there is a lot to take pictures of here!

I don't have the web yet (I'm leaching from a neighbor) but when I do I'll do some picture uploading and send out an email.

We are happy for you guys but we're gonna miss ya!

Anonymous said...

Cailtin,

Sorry I missed your calls yesterday. You"ll have to update me about how your dinner weent!!! You will be soooo happy with the cricut. You can call me with questions, although I am certainly not an expert. I'll be around the next 2 days and back to work wednesday. Give me a call!!
Annie

Anonymous said...

Caitlin, It was great talking to you last night- I can't believe I forgot about the time difference and called you at 1100pm the night before your first day at work!.. Anyway, you sounded like you were next door. I love reading about your journey and I really enjoyed the photographs- I can see how talented Chris is and know he will have a great career ahead of him. We all miss you so much- and look forward to keeping in touch during your time in Georgia- did I ever tell you I have a niece and nephew in Atlanta? Take care and hope your first day went well...
Laurie Albrich